Early morning departure from places and meeting points set along the motorway to Verona, Brescia, Bergamo. Stop at roadside and continued to Milan, Novara and Turin. Upon arrival meet your guide and orientation tour of the city. Among the most interesting things to see Please note: the Duomo, Piazza Castello, Palazzo Madama, the Mole Antonelliana, Piazza Vittorio Veneto, the Parco del Valentino ... Lunch. In the afternoon continuation of visits to the Egyptian Museum, which is among the largest in the world in importance and number of specimens (over 30,000). Among the most famous pieces Please note: the statue of Ramses II, the giant monolithic Sethi, the "Papyrus of mine" ... Departure in the late afternoon for the return journey, stop along the way and arriving in the evening at your destination.
The Egyptian Museum of Turin is, like that of Cairo, dedicated exclusively to the art and culture of ancient Egypt. Many scholars of international repute, from deciphering of Egyptian hieroglyphs Jean-François Champollion, who arrived in Turin in 1824, dedicated since then to the study of its collections, confirming what Champollion wrote: "The road to Memphis and Thebes passes from Turin. " The Egyptian Museum (properly Museum of Egyptian Antiquities) consists of a set of collections that are overlapped in time, to which must be added the discoveries made as a result of excavations carried out by the Italian Archaeological Mission in Egypt between 1900 and 1935. At that time there was the criterion by which the archaeological finds were divided between Egypt and the archaeological missions. The current test requires that the findings remain to Egypt.
The first item arrived in Turin is the Mensa Isis, an altarpiece style egizittizzante, probably made in Rome in the first century AD to a temple of Isis and bought by Charles Emmanuel I of Savoy in 1630. In 1724 Vittorio Amedeo II of Savoy founded the Museum of the Royal University of Turin, at the University building in Via Po, which gives a small collection of antiquities from the Piedmont. In 1757, Carlo Emanuele III of Savoy, to enrich the University Museum, instructs Vitaliano Donati, professor of botany, to make a journey in the East and in Egypt to buy antiques, mummies and manuscripts that could explain the significance of the table itself . The objects collected by Donati, including three large statues come to Turin in 1759 and are exhibited in the Museum of the Royal University, where in 1755 is also located the Mensa Isis.
The Royal Museum of Egyptian Antiquities was formally founded in 1824 with the acquisition by Carlo Felice of Savoy, an extensive collection of works gathered in Egypt by Bernardino Drovetti. These, of Piedmontese origin, had followed Napoleon Bonaparte during some of his military campaigns and for his merits the Emperor had appointed French Consul in Egypt. Drovetti, thanks to his friendship with the viceroy of Egypt, Mohammed Ali, was able to deliver the items collected in Europe. The collection sold by the sovereign Drovetti Carlo Felice consists of 5268 objects (100 statues, 170 papyri, stelae, sarcophagi, mummies, bronzes, amulets and objects of everyday life). Arrived in Turin, is filed with the building of the Academy of Sciences (where he remains), designed by the architect Guarino Guarini in the seventeenth century as a Jesuit school.
While Drovetti Collection is unpacked, Champollion arrives in Turin and within a few months of feverish activity produces a catalog, despite disagreements about the conservation of the finds with the first director, Julius Cordero di San Quintino. In 1832, the collections at the University Museum collections are transferred to the building of the Academy of Sciences. At the head of the museum succeed Francis Barucchi and Pier Camillo Orcurti. From 1871 to 1893 the director is Ariodante Fabretti who, assisted by Francis Rossi and Ridolfo Vittorio Lanzone, then processes the catalog of the works preserved. In 1894 the leadership of the museum goes to Ernesto Schiaparelli which organizes Egyptian excavations in several sites, including Heliopolis, Giza, the Valley of the Queens at Thebes, Qau el-Kebir, Asiut, Hammamija, Hermopolis, Deir el-Medina and Gebelein, where missions were continued by his successor, Giulio Farina.
The last major acquisition of the museum is the temple of Ellesija, Italy donated by the Arab Republic of Egypt in 1970, due to the significant technical and scientific support provided during the campaign to save the Nubian monuments threatened by construction of a large dam Aswan.
In the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities are now exposed about 6,500 objects. More than 26,000 artifacts are stored in warehouses, in some cases, conservation needs, and in others because they are of scientific interest only (pottery, fragmentary statues, baskets, stele, papyrus) and are the subject of studies whose results are regularly published
CLICK PHOTO AND VIDEO
The price includes:
- Travel by coach Gran Turismo;
- Assistance of a guide as per program;
- Insurance medical care.
The fee does not include:
- Lunch, entrance to the museum (€ 7.50 per adult aged 18 to 65 years, free for other age groups) and everything not mentioned in "The fee includes".
Identity card valid.
The share has been calculated on the basis of a group of at least 30 people.